It’s the first time someone has officially hired me to personally style/shop for her! I wanna personally thank my beautiful friend Kryz Uy for sharing some tips.
I met Janelle a year ago, she modeled for a lingerie fashion show I was styling. That’s part of the reason I was so excited to do this job cause it didn’t really require much to make her look beautiful. :)
What is this for? She’s going to Singapore and she needs chic pieces that are also appropriate for the office. Biggest challenge was the weather in Singapore. I was told it was blazing! So I had to keep it light. But I am the mother of layering!!! Feel ko lagi winter sa Pilipinas.
When shopping for yourself it’s always helpful to have a peg. To set your focus on. To avoid the—-oh my god this is cute imma buy it even if I won’t need it—dilemma. This will save you time and money!
Think about your priorities. Would you base it on comfort? Aesthetic? Trendy-ness? Quality? Brand? or Price? Rank your garment priorities!
For Janelle its basically the comfort and appropriateness of the outfits.
Here’s what I was going for based from her priorities. I needed to assemble 7 outfits for her. This would be my mood board.
1. Knee length skirts are the perfect balance of sexy and appropriate. Plus it would make any outfit look girly!(Photo credit)
2. Wide legged pants. To make you look extra taller. In my opinion, not all body types can pull this off. This would look best on slender women to give you a bit of lower volume .
3. Slouchy, comfy blazers. Look for light fabrics. Not the ones with lining preferably if you’re worried about climate.
4. Prep up your attire by adding a ruffled top with a body con skirt.
5. One pieces. Either look for one with collars or pockets. These are for the more casual days. You can dress em up for the weekend or add heels and a blazer for the office!
6. For me, belts are of 100% for accessory basis only. Uhuh. You shouldn’t use your belt to hold up your pants or whatever. YES OF COURSE I KNOW THAT’S WHAT THEY WERE MADE FOR. But! Your clothes should already have a good fit on you. Belts are just to singe waists to give emphasis and to look more polished and put together.
7. Stacked bracelets. Pearls are good for the office or evening looks. May I quote Laureen Uy, “If you feel is your outfit is too simple, just stack/pile accessories on. Works everytime.”
8. Girly chiffon tops. Because I have tons of it and it’s a trick I use to look feminine when Im in the office.
9. Have you been living at the bottom of the sea? If yes, detachable collars (like the one from Miu Miu above) is fucking awesome. Wear a simple shirt, attach this on and you completely look like you know what you’re doing in life! Trust me.
Here are some outfit shots I did with Janelle when we did a fitting. & hey she’s 25 years old she looks 16! I wanted to pin a ribbon on her hair and say xoxo.
Don’t mind ze slippers! hehe. :)